Friday, February 11, 2011

My monotype process video

Ever since I've done monotype prints I've been confronted by the fact that most people don't know what they are. Although they are a printmaking technique, they are a little different in that only one image can be produced. They are kind of a hybrid between printmaking and painting. I've also found that once people find out that they are prints, they sometimes dismiss them as being of "lesser value" than an original painting.

It's been a bit of a struggle to explain a rarely used technique in an already misunderstood medium. I've asked around on the forums about this and I have gotten some great advice from other sellers. Most suggested that I needed to show my printmaking process more and explain some of the terminology so that the average person could understand it.

Because I'm a visual person, I can appreciate watching  demo. videos. For more than a year I've been wanting to post a video of myself doing a monotype. I finally made one but I had some major hurdles with editing and uploading. So after my Sony handi-cam bit the dust I invested in a Flip video camera which cost a third of what my Sony did. And guess what? I filmed on a Sunday and I edited and uploaded my movie by Monday. The Flip comes with its' own editing software which is just great. If I want to though, I can edit with iMovie or another movie program.

Take a look at my video and feel free to leave comments. At five minutes long I think I will edit the next one to be a bit shorter and.....I can now because I have the technology!
You can view the painting process of my "I think we need to have a chat" here which was done with my digital camera. I set my camera to take a photo every 30 sec. for each session. A not bad solution but it still required a LOT of editing.



Stay tuned for more YouTube videos.


No comments:

Post a Comment