Saturday, September 29, 2012

My escape from work




I'm writing this during the second weekend of the Langley Art Studio tour and while it's relatively quiet for visitors it's been great to have so much time to create work and finish up some loose ends.I'm pretty content with this kind of work. This feels much different than my other work. In a previous post I had written about the serving job I had found near our new home and how it just wasn't bringing in the money I needed it to. This caused me a lot of distress because I don't love waiting tables. I've done it for the past twenty plus years because I've gotten good at it and it brings in the most amount of money for the least amount of time. For the past two months as I watched the bills grow and my income reach minimum wage levels, my body revolted and caused me to be in pain. I felt as though I had mild food poisoning for the whole two months. It was exhausting. I couldn't take it anymore and asked my previous employer if he would take me back. It will be quite a commute but at least I will see some cash. 

I mentally prepared myself for two more weeks of hell but found that as soon as I gave my notice my stomach started to become normal. I didn't have to endure the two weeks though because the restaurant cut me from the schedule. I'm probably better for it and if I needed any comfirmation that I made the right decision I came home with $1.46 in tips on my last shift.

They say that the things you focus on the most are the things that come to fruition and one of my biggest fears about moving to Langley was not finding a job that would pay enough. I'm going to take this as a reminder to focus on what really makes me happy and that I need to see myself making a living doing that. 

What about you? Have you ever had your body yell at you and try and show you the direction you need to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment