Friday, July 24, 2009

Raspberries

Here in Vancouver we are nearing the end of raspberry season. The raspberries in the garden have been producing really well this year and I really appreciate being able to pick fresh, organic berries over the moldy storebought ones.
I thought I would share with you one of my favorite recipes for using raspberries. This "Raspberry & Lemon Oat Muffin" looks as though it has an odd combination of flavours but I've always said that if I ever opened a bakery that I would be sure to include this. Don't be tempted to use low fat sour cream/yogurt or reduce the amount of sugar. The amount of fat and sugar is sure to be less than what you'll have in a commercial muffin and you'll have a far superior flavor to yours. Throw in a tablespoon of ground flaxseed instead. Enjoy.


Raspberry & Lemon Oat Muffin

1 c. frozen raspberries
1/2 c. butter softened
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. sour cream or high fat yogurt
1 large egg
3 tsp. of lemon zest
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c. oats
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt

Cream the butter and sugar well. Scrape down and add egg. Mix well. Mix in sour cream and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients including the lemon zest. Use your fingers to distribute the zest. Add all of the dry ingredients less a tablespoon to the butter mixture and mix until almost incorporated. Toss the raspberries with the remaining flour mixture and fold into the mixture.
Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling two-thirds full. Bake in a pre-heated 375F oven for 18-22 minutes or until they test done.

I find this recipe makes about 9 for my muffin tin so I always double the recipe and freeze the extra for snacks. Try it out for yourself and tell me what you think.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment