Saturday, November 12, 2011

Notes about this year's Circle Craft

This past Thursday my Mom and I made our annual trip to the Circle Craft Christmas Craft Sale downtown at the convention centre. We go with the intent on buying for people on our Christmas list and we mostly find things that we want for ourselves. It's a guaranteed  way for my Mom to easily get a gift for me. I pick out something nice, she buys it and asks me to forget about it until Christmas. Okey-dokey.

I always like going to see if there is anything new and to maybe get a few ideas about packaging and show presentation. Each year re-affirms my desicion not to aspire to do a show like Circle Craft. While the exposure would be great, the work, commitment and inventory needed would be more than myself and my family would be willing to make. The artists and crafts people that do do the show have my full respect.

I thought I would tell you about a few vendors that really impressed me this year. First up is Untamed Feast which offers 100% dried wild mushroom products. I bought a gift pack of four different mushroom and rice mixes. I'm supposed to give one container as a gift but I don't think it's going to happen. I'm really looking forward to making the Chantrelle Arroz mix as the sample of mushrooms at their display smelt amazing.




Next up is Natalie Gerber who creates fantastic messenger bags and handbags using men's suiting. Everything looked so stylish and well made it made me wish I had some high-powered executive job to go with one of her items.




Next is Ilee Paper Goods. As a printmaker, I always love going into their booth and admiring the beautiful letter-pressed cards and calendars. The urge to buy a letter-press comes on strong when I see their wares.




Finally there is Abeego which is a vendor I hadn't seen there before. This simply designed booth was selling re-useable food wrappers made with fabric a impregnated with beeswax. Each wonderfully smelling sheet can be used like plastic wrap and molded around your food or dish with the heat of your hands. I think they have some strong interest in their new product as it seemed quite easy for them to maintain a crowd around their table.





I wasn't able to buy everything that I wanted but I never regret going to Circle Craft as it's so inspiring to see so many wonderful handmade items in one place. What did you get there this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment