Saturday, March 3, 2012

Just pluggin' away

We're into March now and I feel myself getting discouraged again. Everyday I work on my Etsy shop and continue with my projects. I keep telling myself that creating is my job and learning new ways to create is important. On the days that Money demands attention (it was just rent day) I feel that I should be spending all my time finding ways to bring in more money. Then I feel guilty for wanting to create all the time. I have wished many times to be able to shut my brain off to for 40 hours a week and just do a job that pays the bills. To want nothing more. I haven't figured out how yet and I find myself going loopy after 15 hours a week. Yup, I haven't had a full time paying job for well over ten years. Ask me how many hours I could spend in the studio a day. I could easily do 10-12 hours a day, no problem. There I get to use my brain. Too bad it doesn't bring in an income. Yet.

Below are some things I have been working on with my tablet, Photoshop and Corel paint.   There's still quite a learning curve I'm trying to overcome with Photoshop but it's been good for creating studies for finished pieces. The skeleton pieces are studies for linocuts, the cat is just me trying out some fur brushes I downloaded and I'm using the mermaid sketch to learn layers.


How about you? Do you find yourself in conflict with creating and money?

2 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, I was just thinking about that stuff today. Sometimes I think I should get back in the chef game--it pays alright, but the hours are brutal, and I just can't bring myself to give up my studio time...but it's so hard, never having any money. I hope it gets better soon, I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kye,
    Yes, being a chef can be really hard on the body. Most places expect 10-12 hrs/day. I thought about training to be a pastry chef but found out the hours would be long and the pay would be too low. I was advised to do it for the "love". If I'm working for love it will have to be in the studio. ; )

    ReplyDelete